Saturday, July 2, 2011

It's A Family Thing.



So, I let my son in on a $25 gift certificate to spend as a treat today.
He goes straight for the Lego Star Wars franchise stuff every time. And he's a patient one. He savors the package images, imagining how much fun it will be when we get home to build it.
"Hold up, ..let me see if the new Wax Poetics magazine is out..." I way before we make our way up to the counter.
Sure enough it is.

On the way home after savoring ever square inch and detail of his package, he
meanders across the cover of this months WP issue.
"And this guy has the disco pants...
...and this guy's showing his tummy...
...and this guy has the peace necklace...
..and...

"Who is this?" he asks finally.
"It's Earth, Wind, and Fire. They look so funky because they play such FUNKY music!" I contribute.
"I'll play you some when we get home."

So he's busy building his new vehicle, putting the figures all together, working on the droid ship, engrossed in the instructions...

while EW&F are on in the back ground.
A few "Oh, I KNOW this song!" comments pop out..until deeper in the album, less familiar tunes arise.
He's working intensely. Happy; showing me bits and pieces of completed parts of his new toy.

I realize this is the new generation's vehicle for album cover perusal and liner note ogling. Wax Poetics is keeping the family chain on lock for wonder and exposure to the choicest masters of funk, soul, jazz and hip hop.
On the back cover is Ramsey Lewis.

He asked about him, too.

And it's a beautiful scene.
Just splendid.

No comments: